Tuesday, October 7, 2008

//Christian role in government?

What is our role as Christians when it comes to our involvement in politics/government.  This is a huge topic right now among evangelicals.  I have read many blogs, articles, essays and even books on this topic, and by no means am I going to regurgitate what I have read onto this blog post...so don't worry.
I do however have many opinions and views on the matter, but if you are interested in dialogue, I would love to talk face to face.  I enjoy the blogging community, I believe it is healthy to dialogue online and find it very intellectually stimulating.  But on the other hand, seeing the effects of the so called "online community" and realized (and learned in my Sociology of Community class) that online dialogue leave out one important aspect of community...face to face interaction which requires sacrifice and reciprocity.  

anyway...here is an interesting quote I took from a blog on Christian Anarchy

"...Get along with the ruling powers as much as you can, but put 
no trust in them. Let's let our lives reflect the truth that governments are part of a fallen world order that has been rendered obsolete in Christ. May our lives reflect the truth that the hope of the world lies in the power of the cross, not the sword -- or the vote."
- Greg Boyd, author of Myth of a Christian Nation

I would recommend checking out the rest of the article:
http://gregboyd.blogspot.com/2008/01/call-to-christian-anarchy.html

Any thoughts? Agree/disagree?

8 comments:

benjamin betscher said...

I think that if i were to share my thoughts about what the Christians role in the government is, and people were to see them, then people would be pissed and probably disagree...

Daniel Coutz said...

Why is that a bad thing Benjamin? I agree. I emailed a good older friend from back home a week ago to ask him his opinion on whether I should vote and if so who. This is what he told me.

"I decided not to vote several years ago. When we are born again we choose to spiritually leave this world and put our faith in and be obedient to FATHER.

I think the only choice we have in 2008 is to choose GOD. Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save. (Psalm 146:3). "
I see a lot of wisdom in what he said.

Tyler DeLong said...

good thoughts Dan!
Ben, don't worry about! give your thought bro!

benjamin betscher said...

well then...in regards to what the Christians role in the government is, i don't think they should have one.
yes, i am a Christian, but do I think that laws should be created and should limitate something due to a religion? no.
For instance, gay marriage is a huge controversy nowadays. I don't think that the government should put limitations on that law due to the fact that God doesn't allow it. Not everyone in the country is a Christian and not everyone finds the rules of the bible to be sufficient for living. So why does the government insist on banning gay marriage when there are many people who don't even believe in our God? And just as a disclaimer, i believe in the bible and everything that is in it. So don't think that I'm bashing God or His laws by saying these things. I think I make a valid point and that my answers are completely justified.
In regards to the quote that you posted, i completely agree with it. We doin't serve the President, we serve Christ. "The hope of the world lies in the power of the cross, not the sword--or the vote." I definitely agree.
and btw, although I am not elgible to vote, due to the fact that I am only seventeen, I would just like to say that I have been following the presidantial elections to an extent and am a firm supporter of Obama.

Daniel Coutz said...

Hey Benjamin I agree with you. See and you were afraid we were going get pissed. I think our opinions are pretty similar on this issue. Though I am not a supporter of Obama (or McCain for that matter), and am exercising my right not to vote. (just for the record I do like the idea of Obama being office over McCain,but I don't support either one)

Tyler DeLong said...

I agree with you Ben 100%
Good thoughts man, I am impressed that you have thought about these issues already!

benjamin betscher said...

Good.
I was nervous that I was going to sound stupid and that you guys were gonna be like..."what the heck?"
but you weren't and I thank you for that.
I rather enjoy discussion very much and would like to continue discussing with you on several topics.

Tyler DeLong said...

most definitely man!