Wednesday, September 17, 2008

i repent

I have recently started listening to Derek Webb.  He has a great insight into the popular American Christian culture. 
I would highly recommend checking out any of his music, specifically from the "I see things upside down" or "Mockingbird" album.

"i repent" from I see things upside down

i repent of my pursuit of America's dream 
i repent of living like i deserve anything 
my house, my fence, my kids, and my wife 
in our suburb where we're safe and white 
i am wrong and of these things i repent 

i repent of parading my liberty 
i repent of paying for what i get for free 
the way i believe that i am living right 
by trading sins for others that are easier to hide 
i am wrong and of these things i repent 

i repent judging by a law that even i can't keep 
wearin righteousness like a disguise to see through 
the planks in my own eyes 

i repent of trading truth for false unity 
i repent of confusing peace and idolatry 
of caring more of what they think than what i know of what they need 
and domesticating You until You look just like me 
i am wrong and of these things i repent

No comments: