Monday, December 1, 2008

//Thanksgiving and Black Friday

There is a very interesting contrast between our Thanksgiving day tradition and the day that follows, known as Black Friday.  Thanksgiving is a day that we reflect on all we have to be thankful for and spend time with our family.  Then the next day Americans have developed a new tradition, we wake up at 4am to go buy all that we don't have and think we need. 
I would highly recommend reading Ragan Sutterfield's short post, very good ideas on changing this new found tradition.

On another point, this year 5 people died because of crowds rushing to buy the latest electronic device or toy.  

5 people died.

One was a worker that was trying to keep customers from breaking down the doors at Walmart, he was trampled to death by the crowd.  

How as Christians respond to these actions?  Is this how we celebrate the coming of Christ?
Try something new...
Don't buy anything for Christmas this year.  
Make stuff.
Write a story for someone.
Give your time to people.


5 comments:

benjamin betscher said...

Ever since visiting the homeless i have bee struggling with this issue. I am a materialistic person sometimes and everyone is guilty of it at one time or another. I was always the person who wanted the coolest cell phone, or the latest iPod. BUt ever since going to Fruit of the Vine, i don't think of that as much anymmore. I'm fine with having a 5 year old cell phone and im fine with having the very first iPod ever invented. I spend $15 dollars on a pair of jeans now instead of $50. I'm still guilty of being materialistic at times but I know that God is going to open my heart and help me to be even more thankful for what I have and not to be greedy. So no, i have no intention of buying anyone gifts for the upcoming season. Unless of course it's something they need...like shampoo. (what if i actually did get someone shampoo? They probably wouldn't appreciate it. Because humanity ruined the way we celebrate Christmas. ANYWAY!!!! I think i'll just show people love for Christmas. I think that's a pretty nice gift.

p.s.
my mother works at Walmart. I'd hate for her to die because of her idiotic customers.

Tyler DeLong said...

that is sweet ben! i am really glad that you continue to think about and apply what you learned at fruit of the vine! We gotta take another tip down there soon with you guys!
good thoughts man...
you should def get people shampoo, that would be sweet!
or i know of this organization where you can buy a flock of chickens for a family in africa in someone's name...that'd be a sweet gift!

benjamin betscher said...

that chicken thing sounds awesome!!!
I wouldn't mind doing that...

Daniel Coutz said...

I did talk my family into spending less on each other this year and we are going to use the money we would have spent to help a family in our church who's husband had a stroke.

Tyler DeLong said...

wow! awesome!