Tuesday, March 10, 2009

//Vegetarian?

So in the last few weeks, my wife and I have been playing around with the idea of becoming vegetarian.  First off, we are in no way fully committed to the lifestyle yet and do not believe it to be a absolute moral obligation or required spiritual discipline.  We have dramatically cut our meet consumption, but still eat meet that is offered to us [considered "consumer vegetarian"]. 
I grew up very much a environmentalist.  As a teenager I watched all the PETA videos and even thought about protesting at my local slaughterhouse.  Not to discredit those that partake in those activities, I found myself passionate about the ideas, but really doing nothing to impact the world around me.
As I have matured in my walk with Christ, I have become aware of certain industries and systems at work in the world that operate contrary to the Kingdom of God.  One of them, no matter how you feel about it, is the food industry.  I have have a few people tell me that there is no value in being vegetarian, I would argue that there are many unconsidered and valuable reasons to consider being vegetarian [apart from the tradition "radical environmentalist" approach].  I am not going to hit on the moral or ethical implications as it come to the "rights of animals", nor will I speak on the theological/biblical reasoning, but would actually like to shed a little light on a couple of the "not so well known" global community aspects to the food industry.  I think the following reasons should be considered in our walk with Christ.

-If we eat the plants we grow instead of feeding them to animals, the world's food shortage will disappear virtually overnight. Remember that 100 acres of land will produce enough beef for 20 people but enough wheat to feed 240 people.

-African and other underdeveloped countries - where millions are starving to death - export grain to the developed world so that animals can be fattened for our dining tables.

-Half the rainforests in the world have been destroyed to clear ground to graze cattle to make beefburgers. The burning of the forests contributes 20% of all green-house gases. Roughtly 1,000 species a year become extinct because of the destruction of the rainforests. Approximately 60 million people a year die of starvation. All those lives could be saved because those people could eat grain used to fatten cattle and other farm animals - if Americans ate 10% less meat.

-The world's fresh water shortage is being made worse by animal farming. And meat producers are the biggest polluters of water. It takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of meat. If the US meat industry wasn't supported by the taxpayer paying a large proportion of its water costs, then hamburger meat would cost $35 a pound.

My issue is not necessarily with eating meat [although that is part of it], it is with the industrial/factory farming industry that is highly unethical from any moral stand point, especially through the Christian World view.  I encourage you, if have not, to read up and research the industry.  Some great resources are any Wendell Berry book or essay, and Ragan Sutterfeild ...and anything else on a sustainable environment. 

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

i actually recently gave up beef for those very reasons a few months back.
kevin peterson

Maynard S. Clark said...

I've been vegan for over half my natural life, went to Wheaton College, and started a list for Christian vegetarians that is now run by Frank Hoffman at www.All-Creatures.org

It's not about me; it's about who YOU are.

Anonymous said...

:) yes yes yes

Daniel Coutz said...

Its interesting stuff and you've made me think about it a litle more, but I think I'm a long way off from adopting this sort of lifestyle.

stephanie mary said...

i'm studying how to cultivate a sustainable garden behind my house this summer.
what stinks is that i haven't developed a taste for a lot of vegetables... i've always been a plain jane... but so far it's still been fairly easy to go meat-free (even in the MVNU cafeteria).

plants yield 10 times more protein per acre than meat does, by the way.
and cows' methane has contributed to global warming.
and... well, there's a ton more but i'll stop there.

Daniel Coutz said...

I really want to garden. I have been thinking about that a lot lately. I don't really know a whole lot about gardening, but I keep coming back to that.

Naomi said...

dude.

great thoughts.

i have some more factoids to contribute, but i'm in between classes right now.

i'll post soon.

Tyler DeLong said...

Naomi-awesome! look forward to hearing them. We really need to hang soon by the way...just sayin

Dan- gardening is AMAZING. we are starting a community garden at Journey this spring...
gonna be sweet- i hope!

Naomi said...

I completely agree with you in that my ethical problem with eating meat comes not from the consumption of the meat itself, but in supporting the industry. Like I said earlier, we just discussed the global food crisis in one of my classes. It was great, and I'm doing the vegetarian thing at least for Lent. Here are some things to think about...

- Approximately THREE earths would be required to support the human population if everyone lived the over-consumptive North American lifestyle. (That is terribly unsettling.)

-2.1 BILLION people live on less than $2 a day, with another 880 million living on less than $1 a day. The US subsidizing of farms has caused prices in these countries to spike. Not much food can be bought with $1. Billions of people are starving because the US has totally screwed up farm subsidies. Though this doesn't directly link to being a vegetarian, it does push toward buying locally. Or, better yet, growing your own food.

- We have the ability on earth, scientifically, mathematically, to produce all the food we need. But, not all the food we want...Hence, obtaining energy at the bottom of the food chain.

One thing I'm really struggeling with is the idea of ethanol. I haven't researched it much, but from what I have read, it is adding to the starvation problem around the world. As the demand for corn goes up, so does the price. I definitely think alternative energy is necessary, but it's hurting those who can barely aford food to begin with. It's overall a good idea, just executed poorly.

Um, and I will definitely help with the garden idea at Journey. Let's get dirty, and try to do some good.

Brian Miller said...

Good post, I think. And I don't know very much about the food (meat) industry or about the intricacies of world hunger.

As I was reading this, I had a question. First the statement:

"Remember that 100 acres of land will produce enough beef for 20 people but enough wheat to feed 240 people."

How does this work? Could you point me to a source of some sort or simply explain it? Just off the top of my head, it seems kinda strange that 100 acres could produce enough beef for only 20 people. I mean, cows are big animals with a lot of meat.

Maybe a big part of it is that I have no idea what it means that it can feed __ people... in how much time, in what way, etc?

I don't want to pick apart minutia or send this comment thing into neverending discussion. So I'll try to avoid that. But I would like some help with this statement - it does seem really far-fetched right now.

Peace, brother.

stephanie mary said...

Brian-

The reference that 100 acres of land will produce beef for 20 people has to do, I believe, with the average amount of grain needed to feed cows to grow to the size needed for consumption/butchering.

Research it online a bit; I came across some general ratios used regarding grain consumption by the cows vs. the grain that could be cultivated for human consumption instead.

...All of this would be assuming that there are still free-range cattle out there, which is much more rare these days. From what I've read, most cattle are raised in constricting areas, but that's a whole other issue.

Of course, in your research, you will find just as much information defending the opposing position. :)

PS: Try for just one week eating a vegetarian diet out of our cafeteria; you'll find your meal options decrease greatly. And you'll also learn to love carrots. And bananas. If you don't already.

Tyler DeLong said...

Yes I absolutely love bananas!!!
The 100 acre thing is as Steph said...100 acres of grain could feel enough cattle to produce enough beef for 20 people [thats not taking into account the ammount of fossil fuels and other harmful practices that take up resources] versus 100 acres of grain could feed 240 people as grains.
Again, like I said, one of the biggest issues with the meat and food industry is that it has become just that, an industry.
BUY LOCAL

Naomi said...

so...there is this thing called Gallery Hop, and it's happening next weekend.

i might just be there and would really really like to see two (2.5) very awesome people.

Anonymous said...

tyler. i love you.

where did you get your fact(oid)s?

i am a little fascinated by it and trust you but know a little to much about statistical propaganda.

how about another post with websites, stats sources, etc.?

peace.

Anonymous said...

i would also err of the side of consumptive vegetarian. i don't want to be a jerk to people.

Tyler DeLong said...

Travis- Good point... I have been wanting to post another blog about that, with more info for those interested and also just to check out my own facts and learn more.

thanks for keepin me in check!
and I love you too!

Naomi-Yes we do need to hang out! We are gonna try to work things out to come down to the G-hop saturday.

Brian Miller said...

Good stuff, Steph. Maybe I will try that sometime - learning to like carrots is probably something good for me to do :)

I'm still a bit skeptical about some of the info; I do like TK's idea of another post w some sources.

'Course people love their beef and veggies, so I'm sure that there's stuff back and forth all over.

In the past, I've never thought about the whole meat thing - maybe it's time I start thinking about it...

Later.

Anonymous said...

You need to read Animal Vegetable Miracle. She debunks the logic of growing plants is so much better for world food problems than raising livestock. She even says that sometimes growing lifestock is much better for our world. But she is very balanced only wanted free range, grass fed, local livestock. I was considering going vegetarian, but after reading this book I'm totally reconsidering. I'm against the industry still, but more in support of local farmers. I really want to be a farmer now.
kevin peterson

Tyler DeLong said...

yeah man, I want to be a farmer also!
we should buy a farm together.

anyway...I totally agree that we should support local farmers, if I were to go back to eating meat it would be local.